Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Should I expect a thank you?

I just had lunch at Bistro Delifrance in United Centre, Admiralty with two of my colleagues. We always pay for our own lunch or share the cost among the three of us. Sometimes either one of them treats us especially when they made some money from their personal share trading. I seldom buy them lunch as I rarely get alloted with IPO shares I applied for. Two weeks ago I applied for shares of this company that listed last Friday. On its first trading day, the shares were trading below its IPO price. Yesterday it was trading a bit higher but I waited until this morning to sell my 2,000 shares. My colleagues immediately calculated that I could net about HK$500. So lunch was on me.

This is not my first time to buy them lunch but I never got any thank you from them. I probably should not expect a thank you as I offered voluntarily. But it would have felt good to at least be acknowledged. I always, always, say thank you to them when they pay for lunch. So let's say A bought lunch, me and B would say thank you to A. And if it was B who paid for lunch, both A and I would say thank you to her. But it was never thanks to me. Could it be because I am the youngest and they are almost twice my age? I mean, no need to say thank you to someone younger than you?

No comments: